FRIDAY NIGHTS AT NOMA: SPEAKEASY - Shhh... The New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) located at One Collins C. Diboll Circle in beautiful City Park is turning into a speakeasy for the night! Join the fun from 5 p.m. to midnight as NOMA celebrates the last Friday of the exhibition Inventing the Modern World: Decorative Arts at the World's Fairs, 1851-1939. Dress in your 1920's best and join us for the prohibition-era inspired programming for the whole family to enjoy!
Here's a sample of the events scheduled:
- 5-8 p.m.: Music by Jayna Morgan & the Sazerac Sunshine Jazz Band
- 5-11 p.m.: Art Activity
- 5:30 p.m.: Gallery Talk with Jason T. Busch, co-curator, Inventing the Modern World: Decorative Arts at World's Fairs, 1851-1939
- 6 p.m.: "Art You Can Eat" with Chef Haley Bittermann: "Southern Spin on English Pasties"
- 7 p.m.: Lecture with Don Vappie, "Over The Waves:The Influence of Latin Music on Early Jazz"
- 7:30 p.m.: Gallery Talk with Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs, Lisa Rotondo McCord, Inventing the Modern World: Decorative Arts of the World's Fairs, 1851-1939
- 8 p.m.: NOLA Fashion Council Announces "1920s Best Dressed" Winners
- 8-10 p.m.: Baker Maid will be serving samples of their goods
- 8:30-11:30 p.m.: Music by Gal Holiday & the Honky Tonk Revue
- 8:30 p.m.: Lecture with cocktail historian, Elizabeth Pearce: "History in a Glass: The Story of New Orleans in the Sazerac"
- 9 p.m.: Comedy Tour with The New Movement
- 9:30 p.m.: Film: CHICAGO
- 11 p.m.: Comedy Tour with The New Movement
Great American Seafood Cook-Off!! The cooking begins at 11:00 am and goes on all day and winners will be announced at 4:30 pm! Guests of the cook-off will enjoy some seafood sampling, complimentary water, snacks from sponsors. Tickets are only $5 in advance at Whole Food locations and $10 at the door - so come celebrate with some great seafood! For more info click on the above link.
Whitney White Linen night. Cruise up and down Julia Street from 6:00 to 9:00 pm...and there's an art viewing and after party at the CAC (900 Camp St.) from 6:00 to 11:00 pm admission is $10 and free for CAC members - DJ Matty will be spinning some funky records, and they'll be food available from Warehouse District favorites. Click here for all the White Linen night fun and all the amazing art and music going on this evening.
Satchmo SummerFest is here! This weekend festival dedicated to the memory of Louis Armstrong presents an extensive roster of performances by contemporary New Orleans musicians from many genres, paying homage to the musical and cultural legend. Bands coming to play read like a who's who of traditional and contermporary jazz, brass bands and children's programming. They include Leroy Jones, Jeremy Davenport, Connie Jones' Crescent City Jazz Band, Yoshio Toyama and the Dixie Saints, The Palmetto Bug Stompers, Shamarr Allen, Rebirth Brass Band, Tim Laughlin, Soul Rebels, Treme Brass Band, Leah Chase, James Andrews, Lars Edegran's New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra, New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park programming for kids, and more.
Seminars and tasty food, too. The two main stages are located at the Old US Mint, 400 Esplanade Avenue.
**For all the weekend fun - click here - Satchmo!
It's a Block Party at Rouses on Carrollton - And get your Mango Freeze at Rouses Starting August 3rd! New Orleans’ local big-time grocery chain, Rouses, will be 'OZ-ifying three of their stores, starting with the Mid-City location at 400 N. Carrollton. The café area will be transformed with WWOZ banners and posters, and best of all, the real-deal authentic WWOZ Mango Freeze (like you get at Jazz Fest) will be served up daily.
And the music will be happening all weekend at Rouses!
*Friday - New Wave Brass Band from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
*Saturday - Red Wolf Brass Band from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Treme Brass Band & Dancing Man 504 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
*Sunday - Topsy Chapman & Solid Harmony 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Alrighty, well that should keep you busy this weekend...If you're looking for more fun stuff to do...check out the WWOZ Livewire - http://www.wwoz.org/new-orleans-community/music-calendar and tune in today (Friday!) from 11-2 pm for the Louisiana Music Party with my hubby Bill deTurk!!